We all know the feeling — there’s a play you’ve been dying to see, but it’s the end of the month and your budget is just about busted. Don’t despair — The Upstager comes to your emotional and financial rescue.
Here are some great ticket bargains for three current productions right here in Durham, including one for the most expensive show in town.
Boston Marriage – Ghost and Spice’s production of David Mamet’s wickedly improper comedy, running through May 1 at Common Ground Theatre.
• See it cheap: Thursday tickets are half-price.
• See it free: Contact the theater to volunteer to help with front of house and see the show for free.
Oldest Living Confederate Widow: Her Confession – Manbites Dog Theater’s stage production of the classic Allan Gurganus novel, running through May 1 at Manbites Dog.
• See it cheap: Wednesday and Thursday tickets are just $12 (a savings of $5 over weekend tickets).
• See it at a discount: Seniors (62+), Students, and Military are eligible for $2 off the cost of a ticket.
• See it as a starving student: Student Rush tickets (door sales only, no credit cards) are just $8. (Subject to availability, get there early. Current student i.d. required.)
• See it for free: Contact the theater at 919.682.3343 to volunteer to help with front of house, and get a free ticket. (Hurry — just a few volunteer slots are left.)
Wicked – A modern, musical retelling of the classic story, running through May 16 at Durham Performing Arts Center.
• See it cheap: A limited number of orchestra seats are held back for each show. Show up 2-1/2 hours before curtain to sign up for a lottery. The lucky winners can purchase tickets (maximum of 2 per person) for just $25, cash only. See the DPAC website for complete rules.
• See it for free: Um, no, probably not going to happen.