A listing of Triangle theater performances
through December 23, 2013
* The Best of Enemies – A true story of two people who became unlikely allies during Durham’s struggle over the integration of public schools. Directed by Joseph Megel. Presented by Manbites Dog Theater. This week: Wednesday-Friday 8:15, Saturday 2:00 and 8:15. Closes Saturday. Manbites Dog Theater, Durham.
* Black Nativity – Langston Hughes’ 1961 gospel retelling of the Christmas story. Presented by Justice Theater Project. Directed by Deb Royals, musical director Carolyn Colquitt, choreographer Chuck Davis. This week: Thursday and Friday 8:00, Saturday 3:00 and 8:00. Closes Saturday. Thompson Theatre, NCSU Campus, Raleigh.
* A Christmas Carol – It’s the 39th year for Ira David Wood III’s (very) loose musical comedy adaptation of the Dickens story, presented by Theatre in the Park. This week: Thursday and Friday 7:00, Saturday 2:00 and 7:00, Sunday 2:00. Closes Sunday. DPAC,Durham.
* Cinderella – Raleigh Little Theatre’s annual holiday production returns. Directed by Rod and Nancy Rich. This week: Thursday and Friday 7:30, Saturday 1:00 and 5:00. Closes Saturday. Sutton Theatre, RLT, Raleigh.
* A Civil War Christmas – Paula Vogel’s play with music follows some historical figures both famous and obscure in and around Washington D.C. during the final Christmas of the Civil War. Directed by Bing Cox. Presented by ArtsCenter Stage. This week: Thursday-Saturday 8:00, Sunday 3:00. Closes Sunday. The ArtsCenter Carrboro.
* Frosty the Snowman – Touring production presented by Broadway Series South’s Storybook Theater Series. This week: Wednesday 10:30, Thursday and Friday 6:30; Saturday 11:00, 2:00, and 5:00; Sunday 11:00, 2:00; Monday 6:30, Tuesday 11:00 a.m. Closes Tuesday. Fletcher Theatre, DECPA, Raleigh.
* The Man Who Was Thursday – An undercover cop infiltrates a secret society of anarchists. Little Green Pig presents G.K. Chesterton’s 1908 metaphysical thriller, adapted by Neal Bell. Directed by Jay O’Berski. This week: Thursday 8:00, Friday 8:00 and 10:30, Saturday 8:00. Closes Saturday. 539 Muze, Foster Street, Central Park, Durham.
* Miracle on 34th Street – Stage adaptation of the 1947 film about a delusional department store Santa — or is he? Directed by Brian Lord. Presented by NRACT. This week: Friday and Saturday 7:00, Sunday 3:00. Closes Sunday. NRACT, Lead Mine Road, Raleigh.
* The Santaland Diaries – Dyspeptic Macy’s elf tells all in this stage adaptation of the David Sedaris story. Presented by Theatre in the Park Second Stage. This week: Friday and Saturday 8:00, Sunday 3:00. Closes Sunday. TIP, Raleigh.
* (Three Man) Tempest – The second of several interpretations of The Tempest this season (See Ongoing: Playmakers). This streamlined version is adapted and directed by Randolph Curtis Rand. Presented by Burning Coal Theatre. This week: Thursday-Saturday 7:30, Sunday 2:00. Closes Sunday. The Murphey School, Raleigh.
* A Trailer Park Christmas – MeeMaw and all the Dodson/Hussey clan return for another year of holiday insanity, created by Jeffrey Moore and Rachel Klem. This week: Thursday-Saturday 7:30, Sunday 2:00. Closes Sunday. Common Ground Theatre, Durham.
Green = Beloved Holiday Classic
* = Final week
Please contact us with any corrections or omissions. For a more complete listing of area events, we recommend the arts calendar at Indyweek.com. For a listing of what else area theaters have in store this season, click on the Triangle Season Schedules tab at the top of the page.