A listing of Triangle theater performances
through May 18, 2014
* Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat – Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice lay down some sick old testament beats in a touring production of their 1972 musical. This week only: Tuesday-Thursday 7:30, Friday 8:00, Saturday 2:00 and 8:00, Sunday 1:00 and 6:30. Closes Sunday. DPAC, Durham.
Vanities – Jack Heifner’s 2008 musical adaptation of his 1976 play follows three best friends over the course of 40 years. Presented by Theatre Raleigh. This week: Wednesday-Friday 8:00, Saturday 2:00 and 8:00, Sunday 3:00. Continues through May 25. Kennedy Theatre, DECPA, Raleigh.
* Closer – Four people have difficulty navigating their relationships in the 1997 play by Patrick Marber. Directed by Paul Sapp. Presented by Burning Coal and She’s-a-Nelson. This week: Thursday-Saturday 7:30, Sunday 2:00. Closes Sunday. Burning Coal Theatre, The Murphey School, Raleigh.
* Gem of the Ocean – A drifter in 1904 Pittsburgh finds a 285-year-old spiritual guide. ArtsCenter Stage presents August Wilson’s 2003 drama. Directed by John Harris. This week: Thursday-Saturday 8:00, Sunday 3:00. Closes Sunday. The ArtsCenter, Carrboro.
Life Is a Dream – A king imprisons his son to save the kingdom. Deep Dish presents the 17th Century classic by Pedro Calderón de la Barca, adapted by Nilo Cruz. Directed by Marc Williams. This week: Wednesday and Thursday 7:30, Friday and Saturday 8:00, Sunday 2:00. Continues through May 25. Deep Dish Theater, University Mall, Chapel Hill.
SPECIAL EVENTS: Piedmont Performance Factory and StreetSigns hold an open house to celebrate StreetSigns’ upcoming season, and present a vision for a new arts organization. Hosted by Frank Stasio. Sunday 4:00-7:00, Oakleaf Restaurant in Pittsboro. More info.
It’s an all-improv weekend at Common Ground in Durham:
• Improv Percolator – a semi-regular series featuring a mixture of new and veteran improv artists. Thursday 8:00.
• Family Vacation – An evening of improv on a theme, featuring Transactors Improv and some special friends. Friday 8:00.
• For Families! – Transactors presents a family-friendly show. Saturday 1:00.
• Far Out! The Lynette Videll 60’s Show – Fatmouth Improv waybacks to the 1960’s. Saturday 8:00.
Please contact us with any corrections or omissions. For a more complete listing of area events, we recommend the arts calendar at Indyweek.com. For a listing of what else area theaters have in store this season, click on the Triangle Season Schedules tab at the top of the page.