A listing of Triangle theater performances
through December 22, 2014
Red = Beloved Holiday Classic™
* Black Nativity – Lanston Hughes’ choral retelling of the Christmas story. Presented by Justice Theater Project. Directed by Deb Royals, music direction by Carolyn Colquitt, choreography by Chuck Davis. NOTE: All performances sold out. Check website for additional information on wait lists. This week: Thursday and Friday 8:00, Saturday 3:00 and 8:00. Closes Saturday. Titmus Theatre, Thompson Hall, NCSU Campus, Raleigh.
* A Christmas Carol – One Beloved Holiday Classic™ to Rule Them All. Now in its 40th year, Ira David Wood III’s hugely popular everything-but-the-kitchen-sink musical version of the Dickens tale returns. Written, directed, and featuring Ira David Wood III. This week: Thursday and Friday 7:00, Saturday 2:00 and 7:00, Sunday 2:00. Closes Sunday. DPAC, Durham.
* Cinderella – Raleigh Little Theatre’s annual musical comedy holiday staging of the venerable fairy tale. Directed by Rod and Nancy Rich. This week: Thursday and Friday 7:30, Saturday 1:00 and 5:00. Closes Saturday. Sutton Theatre, RLT, Raleigh.
* I and You – “I and this mystery, here we stand.” Two mismatched high school students meet for a class assignment on Walt Whitman, but discover that something else has brought them together. Manbites Dog presents the 2013 play by Lauren Gunderson. Directed by Jeff Storer. This week: Wednesday-Friday 8:15, Saturday 2:00 and 8:15. Closes Saturday. Manbites Dog Theater, Durham.
* Miracle on 34th Street – A delusional old man in cahoots with the US Post Office defies the legal system, the medical establishment, and economic common sense in order to convince a young girl of transparent falsehoods. Stars Community Theater presents the Beloved Holiday Classic™. This week: Friday 7:00, Saturday 2:00 and 7:00. Closes Satrurday. Stars Theater and Arts Center, Fuquay-Varina.
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer – Stage musical version of the Beloved Holiday Classic™ based on the venerable 1964 Rankin/Bass animated TV Xmas special which vastly expanded the mythology of Johnny Marks’ 1949 hit song for Gene Autry, itself based on a 1939 Christmas promotional coloring book created by Robert L. May for Montgomery Ward in Chicago. Get your tickets early — this one is going to sell faster than the bargain table at Misfit Toys R Us. Presented by Broadway Series South’s Storybook Theater Series. This week: Thursday and Friday 6:30; Saturday and Sunday 11:00, 2:00, and 6:30. Continues through December 24. Fletcher Theater, DECPA, Raleigh.
* The Santaland Diaries – Stage adaptation of the David Sedaris NPR holiday staple, featuring Jesse Gephart as Crumpet, a disgruntled Santa elf working at Macy’s. Presented by Theatre in the Park. This week: Friday and Saturday 7:30, Sunday 3:00. Closes Sunday. TIP, Raleigh.
* A Trailer Park Christmas – Fruitcake, tornadoes, and inbred Southerners – Jeffrey Moore and Rachel Klem’s Faulknerian yuletide epic returns for its seventh year. It’s the Beloved Holiday Classic™ that puts the “Oh, Christ!” back in Christmas. This week: Thursday-Saturday 7:30, Sunday 2:00. Closes Sunday. Common Ground Theatre, Durham.
* Going/Home – Transactors presents an evening of improv about going/being home for the holidays. One Night: Friday 8:00. The ArtsCenter, Carrboro.
* – Concludes this week
Please contact us with any corrections or omissions. For a more complete listing of area events, we recommend the arts calendar at Indyweek.com. For a listing of what else area theaters have in store this season, click on the Triangle Season Schedules tab at the top of the page.