The Clothesline Muse
A listing of Triangle theater performances
through March 21, 2016
* The Clothesline Muse – A devised theatrical production about washerwoman culture and its legacy over generations in the African American community, created by Dr. Kariamu Welsh, Nnenna Freelon, and Maya Freelon Asante. One performance: Friday 7:30. Cary Arts Center. (Note: Listed as sold out; check with box office for more information.)
* Grounded – An F-16 pilot (Michelle Murray Wells) is reassigned to flying drones in the 2013 one-woman drama by George Brant. Encore presentation of Sonorous Road’s December production. Directed by Jerome Davis. This week only: Friday and Saturday 7:30, Sunday 2:00. Sonorous Road Theatre, Oberlin Road, Raleigh.
* A Springtime Bottom Line: Moonlight Buds & Bloomers – Vaudeville cabaret by The Bottom Line Burlesque & Comedy Troupe from Hillsborough. One night only: Saturday 8:00. Common Ground Theatre, Durham.
* Jacuzzi – Ward Theatre Company presents the 2014 darkly comic thriller by The Debate Society – Hannah Bos, Paul Thureen, and Oliver Butler. This week: Friday and Saturday 7:30, Sunday 3:00. Closes Sunday. Ward Theatre, Pine Cone Drive, Durham. wardtheatrecompany.com
* The Lion King – Touring production of Julie Taymor’s 1997 stage adaptation of the 1994 Disney movie. This week: Tuesday and Wednesday 7:30, Thursday 1:00 and 7:30, Friday 8:00, Saturday 2:00 and 8:00, Sunday 1:00. Closes Sunday. DPAC, Durham.
Miss Nelson Is Missing! – An absent teacher results in the meanest substitute ever. Raleigh Little Theatre’s Youth Series presents Joan Cushing’s 2001 stage adaptation of the children’s books by Harry Allard. Directed by Kathleen Rudolph. This week: Thursday and Friday 7:30, Saturday and Sunday 1:00 and 5:00. Gaddy-Goodwin Theatre, RLT, Raleigh. Continues through March 27.
* The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee – The third local production in the last two years of the 2005 musical comedy, this time presented by NRACT. Directed by Yvonne Anderson, music direction by Craig Johnson. This week: Thursday-Saturday 8:00, Sunday 3:00. Closes Sunday. NRACT, Lead Mine Road, Raleigh.
* The Wolf – Theatre Raleigh’s Family Festivities Series presents the world premiere of a dance theater work based on three familiar fairy tales. Creators not listed. This week: Friday 6:00, Saturday and Sunday 12:00/3:00/6:00. Closes Sunday. Kennedy Theatre, DECPA, Raleigh.
* March Madness! – Transactors Improv presents a family-friendly sports-themed show. One performance: Saturday 6:00. The ArtsCenter, Carrboro.
* – Concludes this week
Please contact us with any corrections or omissions. For a more complete listing of area events, we recommend the arts calendar at Indyweek.com. For a listing of what else area theaters have in store this season, click on the Triangle Season Schedules tab at the top of the page.