A listing of Triangle theater performances
through June 6, 2016
The Hollow – University Theatre’s annual TheatreFest returns with a pair of summer plays in repertory. First up, an Agatha Christie mystery featuring a stately British home (check), a murder (check), and a house full of suspects (check). No director listed. This week: Thursday-Saturday 7:30, Sunday 2:00. Continues through June 26. Kennedy-McIlwee Theatre, Thompson Hall, NCSU Campus, Raleigh.
* Hughie – A small time hustler recounts his woes to a hotel night clerk in Eugene O’Neill’s 1942 one-act. Actors Brook North and David Klionsky will alternate the lead role during the run. Directed by Andy Hayworth, presented by South Stream Productions. This week: Thursday and Friday 7:30, Saturday 7:30 and 9:30, Sunday 3:00. Closes Sunday. Sonorous Road Theatre, Oberlin Road, Raleigh.
* The New Colossus – A family of frustrated, attention-starved artists flocks to the seashore. One of them has a gun…what could possibly go wrong? Little Green Pig presents Tamara Kissane’s darkly comic reboot of Chekhov’s The Seagull. This week: Thursday-Saturday 8:15. Closes Saturday. Manbites Dog Theater, Durham.
Two Gentlemen of Verona – Bare Theatre presents Shakespeare’s comedy about gender-crossed lovers. Free performances in outdoor public spaces around the Triangle. Directed by G. Todd Buker. This week: Friday 7:00, Saturday and Sunday 3:00. Parklet at Deco, 19 W Hargett St, Raleigh (through June 12). Continues (various locations) through June 30.
The Wedding Singer – NRACT presents the 2006 musical (based on a 1998 Adam Sandler comedy) about a 1980s aspiring rock singer who performs at weddings. Directed by Chasta Hamilton Calhoun. This week: Thursday-Saturday 8:00, Sunday 3:00. Continues through June 12. NRACT, Lead Mine Road, Raleigh.
* Bull City Blues – Fifth episode and season finale of a new serial improv show based on tv police procedurals. Directed by Rachel Klem. Presented by Common Ground Theatre. One performance: Friday 8:00. Common Ground Theatre, Durham.
* Third Date Improv – The eponymous group presents another evening of improv about relationships. Ellen Ciompi will open the show with a set of cabaret-style tunes. One show: Saturday 8:00. Common Ground Theatre, Durham.
* After the Fall – Staged reading of a new play by Marilynn Barner Anselmi. Saturday 7:30, Sunday 1:30. Cary Arts Center.
* Burt and Abbie – Staged reading of a new play by Libby Heily. Friday 7:30, Sunday 3:30. Cary Arts Center.
Both Presented by Cary Playwrights Forum. More info
* – Closes this week
Please contact us with any corrections or omissions. For a more complete listing of area events, we recommend the arts calendar at Indyweek.com. For updates on area auditions, we recommend the Triangle Auditions group on Facebook. For a listing of what else area theaters have in store this season, click on the Triangle Season Schedules tab at the top of the page.