Mary E. Askew, Seamstress
Photo from American Negro Exhibit at the Paris Exposition Universalle de 1900,
by Atlanta photographer Thomas E. Askew. More information here
A listing of Triangle theater performances
through January 30, 2017
Intimate Apparel – PlayMakers Rep presents Lynn Nottage’s award-winning 2003 drama about an African-American seamstress who pursues her dreams in turn-of-the-century New York. Directed by Raelle Myrick-Hodges. This week: Wednesday-Saturday 7:30, Sunday 2:00. Continues through February 12. Paul Green Theatre, CDA, UNC Campus, Chapel Hill.
* Martin Luther King, An Interpretation – John Ivey returns in a one-man show about Martin Luther King, Jr., written and directed by Ira Knight, to be performed once a month through June. This week: Saturday 8:00. The ArtsCenter, Carrboro.
* Always…Patsy Cline – NC Theatre presents Sally Struthers in a touring production of the jukebox musical/community theater mainstay about the legendary 1950s country singer. This week: Tuesday and Wednesday 7:30, Thursday 2:00 and 7:30, Friday 7:30, Saturday and Sunday 2:00 and 7:30. Closes Sunday. Fletcher Theater, DECPA, Raleigh.
Heisenberg – A seemingly mismatched couple meet and begin an unlikely relationship, but things may or may not be what they appear. Burning Coal presents Simon Stephens 2015 comedy, directed by Emily Ranii. This week: Thursday-Saturday 7:30, Sunday 2:00. Continues through February 5. Burning Coal Theatre, Murphey School, Raleigh.
* Orlando – The Delta Boys presents Sarah Ruhl’s adaptation of Virginia Woolf’s classic time/gender-bending novel, in which an Elizabethan man becomes a favorite of the Queen, romances a mysterious Russian beauty, and wakes up one day to find he has become a woman. This week: Wednesday-Saturday 8:15. Closes Saturday. Manbites Dog Theater, Durham. manbitesdogtheater.org
* The Whipping Man – In the ruins of post-Civil War Richmond, two former slaves and a wounded Confederate officer celebrate Passover, but are forced to confront old secrets. Patrick Torres directs the 2006 drama by Matthew Lopez for Raleigh Little Theatre. This week: Thursday-Saturday 8:00, Sunday 3:00. Closes Sunday. Gaddy-Goodwin Theatre, RLT, Raleigh. raleighlittletheatre.org
* The Civilians: New Play Workshop Reading – New York investigative theater group The Civilians present a workshop production of Ethan Lipton’s new play about the charter school movement in America. One performance: Saturday 8:00. Reynolds Theater, Bryan Center, Duke West Campus, Durham.
* – Closes this week
Please contact us with any corrections or omissions. For a more complete listing of area events, we recommend the arts calendar at Indyweek.com. For updates on area auditions, we recommend the Triangle Auditions group on Facebook. For a listing of what else area theaters have in store this season, click on the Triangle Season Schedules tab at the top of the page.