A listing of Triangle theater performances
through January 1, 2018
* A Christmas Carol – PlayMakers Rep presents Ray Dooley in a solo retelling of the Dickens story. Adapted by William Leach, directed by Michael Perlman. This week: Tuesday-Friday 7:30, Saturday 2:00 and 7:30. Closes Saturday December 23. Kenan Theatre, CDA, UNC Campus, Chapel Hill.
* Gift of the Magi – An immersive stage version of the O. Henry short story, adapted by Michelle Murray Wells and the company. Presented by Sonorous Road. This week: Friday and Saturday 7:00/8:00/9:00. Closes Saturday December 23. Sonorous Road Theatre, 3801 Hillsborough St., Raleigh.
* Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical – An annual presentation of Broadway Series South, this stage musical version of the Beloved Holiday Classic™ is based on the venerable 1964 Rankin/Bass animated TV Xmas special (which vastly expanded the mythology of Johnny Marks’ 1949 hit song for Gene Autry — itself based on a 1939 Christmas promotional coloring book created by Robert L. May for Montgomery Ward in Chicago). Get your tickets early — this one sells faster than the bargain table at Misfit Toys “R” Us. This week: Friday-Sunday 11:00/2:00. Closes Sunday December 24. Fletcher Theater, DECPA, Raleigh.
* The Santaland Diaries – Stage adaptation of the David Sedaris NPR holiday staple, featuring Jesse Gephart as Crumpet, a disgruntled Santa elf working at Macy’s. Presented by Theatre in the Park. This week: Friday and Saturday 8:00, Sunday 3:00. Closes Sunday December 24. TIP, Raleigh.
* ShakesBEER – “Dost thou think, because thou art virtuous, there shall be no more cakes and ale?” Bare Theatre returns with their site-appropriate evening of scenes featuring notable Shakespearean imbibers performed in local pubs. Adapted by Chuck Keith, directed by Dustin Britt. This week: Tuesday 8:00 Fortnight Brewing in Cary, Wednesday 8:00 YesterYears Brewery & Taproom in Carrboro, Friday 9:30 at Oak & Dagger Public House in Raleigh. Closes Friday December 22.
* – Closes this week
Please contact us with any corrections or omissions. For a more complete listing of area events, we recommend the arts calendar at Indyweek.com. For updates on area auditions, we recommend the Triangle Auditions group on Facebook. For a listing of what else area theaters have in store this season, click on the Triangle Season Schedules tab at the top of the page.